£1.25m will safeguard Lakes jobs
Published at 16:19, Friday, 19 October 2012
ALMOST 100 jobs are to be safe-guarded as a scheme to attract tourism was given the green light.
Lakeland Arts Trust was today named as one of two successful Cumbrian bids for a Regional Growth Fund grant.
The bid is for £1.25m to help fund a £10m redevelopment of Windermere Steamboat Museum.
The project will involve removing existing dilapidated sheds and bringing seven acres of lakeside land into public use as a world-class year-round facility. It will secure or create 94 jobs as well as offering apprenticeships and training opportunities.
The museum hopes to attract more than 100,000 visitors each year – further raising the attraction of the Lake District.
Paper manufacturer James Cropper, in Burneside, near Kendal, was also successful in its bid.
Westmorland and Lonsdale MP Tim Farron said: “This is fantastic news for the South Lakes – getting one bid is remarkable, but getting two successful bids is stunning.
“I found it easy to lobby ministers on these bids because they were so well designed and much needed.
“This is without doubt the best day I’ve had since becoming our area’s MP.
“But there is still more we can and must do and I will do everything I possibly can to fight for our economy.
“The campaign to bring well paid jobs to South Lakeland continues.”
Martin Ainscough, chairman of the Lakeland Arts Trust said: “We are delighted to receive the grant from the Regional Growth Fund to create a world-class visitor attraction in the heart of the Lake District.
“The Windermere Steamboat Museum has a unique collection of boats and will be an internationally significant addition to Windermere, growing tourism in Cumbria and creating all year round, quality employment.
“We have brought together an award winning team to deliver this exciting project and this investment is a major boost for us.”
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the RGF was good value for money and for every £1bn of funding £6bn of private sector investment is secured.
The RGF supports projects that attract private sector investment, creating economic growth and sustainable employment.
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
- What are the ISA rules when it comes to how much I can put in?
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5