A595 closed at Duddon Bridge
Published at 12:57, Friday, 20 November 2009
DRIVERS were forced to abandon their cars during yesterday's floods, while schools and businesses closed early.
By Sam Walker
The A595 was closed at Duddon Bridge leaving commuters stranded and causing queues of traffic to build up.
An eye witness, who did not wish to be named, was caught up in the chaos in her Vauxhall Corsa.
The 40-year-old from Millom said: “That’s the worst I have ever seen it. It really was very scary.
“I have been driving for 27 years and I have never had an experience like that before.
“There was quite a tailback coming from Barrow to Millom, everyone was just getting out of their cars and leaving them.
“The fields were just like a swimming pool it is like Niagara falls, it is horrendous.”
Drivers were being turned away from 9am but police say the bridge was officially closed at 11.39am by highways officers.
Officers from Millom Police Station confirmed the bridge was reopened at 2.30pm.
Flooding on the West Coast railway line between Barrow and Whitehaven meant passengers were forced to wait at Millom when the 10.40am service south was cancelled.
A spokeswoman for Northern Rail said: “Our worst hit stations are Drigg and Aspatria, near Wigton.
“The services are running but the trains are travelling at a reduced speed and that means we are incurring some delays.”
Rail passenger John McGuirk, 68, was waiting at Millom Railway Station for an hour-and-a-half after attempting to drive across the bridge and being turned back by police.
He said: “I'm disgusted, it is shocking.
“I tried to drive across the bridge with my wife and there were no signs anywhere.
“There was not a thing. We got all the way through and the police turned us round.
“So I am trying to get the train but they keep delaying it.”
Sellafield sent 5,000 “non essential” staff members, half its 10,000 workforce, home early.
A Sellafield spokeswoman said all essential staff will continue working and the plant has continued to operate as normal.
The weather caused Thwaites School, near Millom to shut its doors yesterday.
Millom School, in Salthouse Road, stayed open yesterday but is due to close today as a precaution.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Three Cumbria fraudsters ordered to repay £360,000
- Windermere Lake Wardens rescue elderly man
- Power tools stolen in South Cumbria van raid
- Tributes paid to well known Cumbria mountain rescue leader
- £2m plans to transform Windermere shoreline and bring jobs
- Your chance to help Waterbird take to Cumbria skies
- South Lakes man thanks air ambulance crew
- New exhibition set to open in Lakes centre
- Planners put brakes on South Lakes ferry site regeneration
- Police in appeal over card skimming device found in Windermere
- Cumbria woman jailed after admitting assault
- Lib Dems retain at Bowness by-election
- Cumbria cash machines alert
- Sighting of missing girl reported in Bowness
- Police hunt for Bowness shoplifters
- Windermere hosts All England Stone Skimming Championships 2013 (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Ulverston school comes out of special measures (5 comments)
- Man bared all in Dalton takeaway (13 comments)
- Young man found dead in Barrow hostel
- Days out with something to treat all this Mother’s Day
- Call to plan ahead for torch visit
- Dealer jailed
- UPDATE: Drivers warned of delays after crash on M6 in Cumbria
- Skills shown by royal visit