Approval given for Windermere lake rule changes
Last updated at 12:59, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
CHANGES to the rules which control safety and boat activity on Windermere have been approved by the government following extensive consultation with lake users.
The changes are to be implemented from October 13.
Letters are being sent to Windermere’s 3,500 registered boat users to explain the navigation by-laws and responsibilities lake users will now have to take.
The main features of the by-laws include:
- Confirmation the speed limit on most parts of the lake is 10 knots (11.5mph), rather than the land-based statute 10 miles per hour, while other parts of the lake retain a six knot limit.
- Exemptions will be allowed to the overall lake speed limit for special events in harmony with the aims of the Windermere Management Strategy and relevant national park policies.
- Additional safety regulations for boats involved with water-skiing activity.
First published at 12:58, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)