Barrow man evades jail for disturbance at FGH
Last updated at 12:20, Saturday, 28 April 2012
A MAN responsible for what a judge called “appalling” behaviour at Furness General Hospital has been given a suspended sentence.
Kenneth Cardy-Neil swore at a nurse, urinated on the floor and picked up and threw a commode at police in the drunken incident, which took place on January 4.
Cardy-Neil, 50, of Egerton Court, Barrow, pleaded guilty to a charge of affray when he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday.
He was given an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, with two years’ supervision.
The supervision will include an alcohol treatment programme and thinking skills programme.
The court heard that a struggle occurred at the hospital, during which Cardy-Neil was “mouthing abuse at all and sundry”, said Judge Andrew Woolman.
Mr Frank Nance, defending, said his client had been very drunk when the “disgraceful” incident occurred in the hospital’s A&E department.
Since then, he has served a prison sentence of 160 days, for a different matter.
The latest case had been adjourned for an assessment to be carried out to see if he would be suitable for an alcohol treatment programme.
Judge Woolman said the earlier time in custody was one of the reasons why he had considered an alternative sentence.
He told Cardy-Neil: “You have a dreadful record for all sorts of offending. You have been in prison many times and also received non custodial sentences many times, often breaching them.
“I have been persuaded to give you one last go, mainly because you spent some time in prison up until a week or two ago. The matter is very much in your hands. You know what the consequences are if you breach this.”
First published at 10:40, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
- Cumbrian death crash family left ‘devastated’ by court verdict
- Comets kid Haines fuels up for Rockets tester
- Paramore with B.O.B and Fun.
- Prince co-piloted copter in search and rescue mission
- Man killed by train
- Waterloo Road stars in Barrow (1 comment)
- Lindal take it on the chin
- Bag of rubber bullets found after Cumbria Police "misplaced" them
- Windermere Lake Wardens rescue elderly man
- Tributes flow for Walney ‘priest, mentor and guide’ (2 comments)
- Spiralling costs force businessman to shut cafe (3 comments)
- Police launch investigation after biker killed in Ulverston crash (4 comments)
- Dalton Miss South Lakes contest finalist in bug-eating test
- Flooded holiday park to reopen after renovation
- Cumbria's young roll models put on a show (1 comment)
- Special report - Evening Mail shadows police on Super Sunday (7 comments)
- Sex beast jailed
- Rydal Sheepdog Trials and Hound Show
- TV dance duo show their talent
- Chat about your death