Barrow man gets six years for sex with girl
Published at 14:18, Monday, 17 September 2012
A MAN found guilty of having sex with an underage girl has been jailed for six years.
Stephen Cooksey, 44, was sentenced at Preston Crown Court on Friday 14 September after being found guilty by a jury in August.
Cooksey, of Stackwood Avenue, Barrow, denied five allegations of sexual activity with a child.
During the trial the court heard an adult became suspicious of the interaction between Cooksey and his victim because of the amount of time the girl spent on the phone and sending text messages.
After the concerns were raised, the girl told police she and Cooksey had sex. When he was arrested, Cooksey denied the allegations.
During the trial he told the court he had been shocked by the claims and insisted nothing had happened between him and the girl.
The court also heard he said: “I am going to prison.
“I would rather commit suicide than go to prison.”
However, Cooksey, who is married, did admit he and the girl had once kissed on the cheek.
After a week-long trial a jury rejected his version of events and found him guilty of the five offences.
Yesterday he was sentenced to six years in prison, with 29 days taken off for the time he had already spent on remand in jail.
He was also disqualified from working with children for life, as well as being put on the sex offenders register for life.
He was made the subject of a sex offenders prevention order for 15 years.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Three Cumbria fraudsters ordered to repay £360,000
- Windermere Lake Wardens rescue elderly man
- Power tools stolen in South Cumbria van raid
- Tributes paid to well known Cumbria mountain rescue leader
- £2m plans to transform Windermere shoreline and bring jobs
- Your chance to help Waterbird take to Cumbria skies
- South Lakes man thanks air ambulance crew
- New exhibition set to open in Lakes centre
- Planners put brakes on South Lakes ferry site regeneration
- Police in appeal over card skimming device found in Windermere
- Cumbria woman jailed after admitting assault
- Lib Dems retain at Bowness by-election
- Cumbria cash machines alert
- Sighting of missing girl reported in Bowness
- Police hunt for Bowness shoplifters
- Windermere hosts All England Stone Skimming Championships 2013 (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Ulverston school comes out of special measures (5 comments)
- Man bared all in Dalton takeaway (13 comments)
- Young man found dead in Barrow hostel
- Days out with something to treat all this Mother’s Day
- Call to plan ahead for torch visit
- UPDATE: Drivers warned of delays after crash on M6 in Cumbria
- Skills shown by royal visit