Barrow man gets six years for sex with girl
Published at 14:18, Monday, 17 September 2012
A MAN found guilty of having sex with an underage girl has been jailed for six years.
Stephen Cooksey, 44, was sentenced at Preston Crown Court on Friday 14 September after being found guilty by a jury in August.
Cooksey, of Stackwood Avenue, Barrow, denied five allegations of sexual activity with a child.
During the trial the court heard an adult became suspicious of the interaction between Cooksey and his victim because of the amount of time the girl spent on the phone and sending text messages.
After the concerns were raised, the girl told police she and Cooksey had sex. When he was arrested, Cooksey denied the allegations.
During the trial he told the court he had been shocked by the claims and insisted nothing had happened between him and the girl.
The court also heard he said: “I am going to prison.
“I would rather commit suicide than go to prison.”
However, Cooksey, who is married, did admit he and the girl had once kissed on the cheek.
After a week-long trial a jury rejected his version of events and found him guilty of the five offences.
Yesterday he was sentenced to six years in prison, with 29 days taken off for the time he had already spent on remand in jail.
He was also disqualified from working with children for life, as well as being put on the sex offenders register for life.
He was made the subject of a sex offenders prevention order for 15 years.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road