‘Big cat’ spotted on Cumbria road
Last updated at 16:53, Monday, 16 July 2012
A COUPLE claim to have spotted a mysterious panther-like big cat while on holiday in the Lakes.
Howard and Lesley Anderton were on the B5278 north of Flookburgh on Tuesday when they claim to have seen the “monstrous” cat crossing the road in front of their car.
The two retirees thought they were seeing things and could scarcely believe their eyes when the animal slinked off into the woods.
“We both immediately said it was a panther – a black panther – which, of course, seems ridiculous in Cumbria,” Mr Anderton, from Wigan, said.
“We only saw it for about two seconds. It wasn’t running or anything, it was just walking cat-like across the road and disappeared into the woodland on the left hand side. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get a photograph because it was only there for a couple of seconds and then it was gone.”
Mr Anderton said although he and his wife only got a glimpse of the animal, it was long enough for them to be sure it was like nothing else they had seen before.
“We only saw it very, very briefly. I would say it was between four and five feet in length and it had a really, really long tail,” he said.
“Both myself and my wife are quite well up on animals and birds and this was a lot bigger than a domesticated cat and it was definitely not a badger or a fox.”
Cumbria police has received more than 40 reported “big cat” sightings since 2003, but no irrefutable evidence has ever been produced. Big Cats in Britain compiles reported sightings of big cats. Member Nigel Spencer said: “There are plenty of people who will say it’s rubbish, but there are also a lot of perfectly sane and reputable people who have seen big cats.”
- If you have seen a big cat , email us at email@example.com
First published at 16:11, Monday, 16 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22