Big home win keeps Wath Brow Hornets buzzing
Last updated at 11:50, Monday, 13 August 2012
Wath Brow Hornets maintained their push for National Conference Premier League honours with a 46-20 home win over Saddleworth Rangers.
But it took a forceful second-half show from the Hornets to complete the comprehensive victory as they only led 18-14 at the break.
With only three minutes of the first half remaining a clever long kick from Leroy Joe from his own 20 was chased down by teenage winger Scott Pink.
Hotly pursued by several Saddleworth players the youngster won the foot race chipping it over the white wash before touching down. Fran King converted.
Then former Seaton star Callum Phillips, brother of Workington Town forward Brett Phillips, got over for another try which King improved to put Hornets ahead again.
The second half started with both teams battering away at each other’s defences.
On 61 minutes King extended the Hornets lead with his second try and he also added the extras.
In the last 15 minutes they ran in four tries to pull clear of their spirited opponents.
Jason Connery (2), Ryan Amor and Greg Dawson all crossed the Saddleworth line, with King converting three of them.
- Egremont and Castleford Lock Lane put on a mistake-laden pulsating encounter at the home of Rangers’ Rugby Union neighbours Bleach Green.
In the end a scrappy contest finished in Egremont’s favour 42-32 after the two sides had turned round all square at 18-18.
Brocklebank gave Egremont the lead with a show and go before adding the conversion.
Then on the stroke of half time an awful looping pass was intercepted by Lock Lane winger Garlick who went fully 90 metres to score and the conversion sent the teams into the break all square.
On 50 minutes Leak made a 40 yard break which culminated in a Matt Bewsher try which Brocklebank improved.
On 61 minutes Telford produced a splendid inside ball forPalmer to go over and Brocklebank’s conversion made it 36-24.
Then on 64 minutes came the game-breaker with a Brocklebank break. He also added the conversion.
The Rangers youngsters are now joint second in the League with Bradford Dudley Hill who are next week’s opponents at Bleach Green.
First published at 11:25, Monday, 13 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
More Windermere news
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Three Cumbria fraudsters ordered to repay £360,000
Evening Mail homepage
- Foxfield to Coniston line fantasy rail world created in miniature
- SAVE OUR SERVICES! (10 comments)
- Campaigners fight for region’s nuclear future
- Carlisle Utd's Mark Beck gets Scotland u-21 call-up
- Barrow AFC fans not confident of promotion
- Praise for Kyle May after 400th Workington Reds appearance
- Chance to see historic Barrow building and grab a bargain
- Barrow art lover Stephanie now removes body etchings
- Barrow is perfect place for wind power
- Carlisle Utd boss will take ‘strength’ from calls for him to be sacked (65 comments)
- Police name dead cyclist found by A592 in south Cumbria
- Woolworths evacuated
- Cumbrian death crash family left ‘devastated’ by court verdict
- Luis Suarez's handshake refusal was disgraceful, so was Kenny Dalglish's reaction (8 comments)
- Full steam to the Lakes
- Obituary - Arthur Allison, of High Ireby
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- A bright cold day in April, the clocks were striking 13... (6 comments)
- Rare to witness respect for dead (9 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere