Coalition in 1910 style
Published at 13:20, Friday, 28 May 2010
The Conservative and Lib-Dem coalition might seem like something new, but this picture is a reminder of 1910 when the same thing happened – and we ended up with two general elections within 12 months.
Sharing a platform in Windermere are two of the 1910 victors – Sir Lancelot Sanderson and Lt-Col (then Captain) Josceline Fitzroy Bagot.
The poll in January 1910 resulted in a hung Parliament.
The Conservatives, under Arthur Balfour, struck up a coalition with the Liberals, led by Herbert Asquith.
It failed to provide stability and another general election was held in December 1910 – resulting in yet another hung Parliament.
Sir Lancelot Sanderson (1863 to 1944) was a Conservative politician and judge.
He was elected as MP for the Appleby division of Westmorland in both the 1910 elections. He resigned in 1915.
Lt-Col Josceline Fitzroy Bagot, of Levens Hall, was Conservative MP for South Westmorland from 1892 to 1906 and from 1910 to 1913.
He was nominated for a baronetcy in 1913 but died the same year.
He had gained the rank of captain with the Grenadier Guards in 1899 and fought in the Boer War in South Africa from 1899 to 1901.
He gained the honorary rank of Lt-Colonel with the Westmorland and Cumberland Imperial Yeomanry.
He wrote Colonel James Grahme of Levens: A Biographical Sketch of Jacobite Times in 1886.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria