Published at 10:35, Saturday, 07 January 2012
A SERIAL drug dealer has been sent down for more than four years after committing his third offence.
David Woof was sentenced to four years and three months in prison at Preston Crown Court yesterday.
In December, Woof, 38, pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing the Class A drug diamorphine on January 17 last year, with intent to supply it to another.
He was described in the court as a “three strikes” offender, due to two previous drug-related convictions in 2005 and 2009.
The main strength of the prosecution’s case lay in four text messages the defendant had received on his mobile phone. Yesterday, he was jailed for the charge of possessing a Class A drug with intent to supply, but was cleared of a charge of possessing criminal property.
Detective Constable Wayne Dixon, of Barrow CID, said he felt the right sentence had been issued by the court.
He said: “It is a very good sentence which hopefully sends out a strong message.
“Hopefully it will act as a deterrent to others that are considering using drugs as a form of making money.”
Woof spent 36 days on remand and this will be included in the custodial sentence issued by the court.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- Cumbria school nurse to face hearing
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Dad assaulted his wife as child slept in same room
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd