Foot of ice on the lake
Published at 13:10, Thursday, 23 December 2010
THIS winter would have to get a whole lot worse to compete with conditions experienced in South Lakeland in 1962 and 1963.
To prove the point, this pair of Windermere pictures have been kindly sent in by Mr J.R Backhouse, of West Shore Park, Walney.
They feature lake boat cruise workers whose normal winter activities would be painting and other general maintenance.
Mr Backhouse said the lake was frozen over for several weeks and the ice was measured at up to 13 inches in thickness.
He said: “I had a motorbike and rode it up the ice.”
There are also reports of light sports cars being driven out on Windermere by people taking the opportunity to try out their skating skills.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Club races draw to a close
- Ring the cones hotline to help firm
- St Bees suffer heartbreak
- Landlord wins six-year council tax fight
- Tributes paid to Reds’ stalwart
- Brothers stole scrap from derelict buildings
- Local athletes in action
- Whitehaven crush Barrow Raiders in derby:with match pictures (7 comments)
- Future looks bright for Barrow band and pub
- Longtown lifesavers’ jubilee medal celebrations
- Ofsted joy for Lakes staff and students
- Vintage fire engine is rescued from orchard
- Sex assault case
- Photo roots in Europe
- Small trains at the station
- St Bees duo win GP14 class
- Wigwam bam!
- School for excluded kids looks at new measures (3 comments)
- Guilty dentist ignored patients’ rotten teeth
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22