Foot of ice on the lake
Published at 13:10, Thursday, 23 December 2010
THIS winter would have to get a whole lot worse to compete with conditions experienced in South Lakeland in 1962 and 1963.
To prove the point, this pair of Windermere pictures have been kindly sent in by Mr J.R Backhouse, of West Shore Park, Walney.
They feature lake boat cruise workers whose normal winter activities would be painting and other general maintenance.
Mr Backhouse said the lake was frozen over for several weeks and the ice was measured at up to 13 inches in thickness.
He said: “I had a motorbike and rode it up the ice.”
There are also reports of light sports cars being driven out on Windermere by people taking the opportunity to try out their skating skills.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- How Joe and his bus became a valley lifeline
- Probus club meeting
- Mitch Graham aims to add glitz to Workington Comets
- New home for memorial?
- Blood donor session dates
- Ex-Workington Town player Livett is BARLA Bulldogs captain
- ‘I tried to save wife in snorkel horror’ – Carlisle husband
- Wigton's unsung heroes praised at awards ceremony
- Landlord Ben is new king of the Castle
- TV cooks Hairy Biker Dave Myers and James Martin film new show in Barrow (2 comments)
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Guilty dentist ignored patients’ rotten teeth
- Celebrating our 140 years
- John Ruskin school prom
- Geoff to clean up with unique £500,000 railway track ‘hoover’
- Millions paid out over Sellafield cancer deaths
- Barrow Island BAE Systems shipyard parking fury (8 comments)
- Bowness sex beast jailed
- Barrow man accused of assaulting student found not guilty
- Long-awaited bird hide officially opens
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22