Foot of ice on the lake
Published at 13:10, Thursday, 23 December 2010
THIS winter would have to get a whole lot worse to compete with conditions experienced in South Lakeland in 1962 and 1963.
To prove the point, this pair of Windermere pictures have been kindly sent in by Mr J.R Backhouse, of West Shore Park, Walney.
They feature lake boat cruise workers whose normal winter activities would be painting and other general maintenance.
Mr Backhouse said the lake was frozen over for several weeks and the ice was measured at up to 13 inches in thickness.
He said: “I had a motorbike and rode it up the ice.”
There are also reports of light sports cars being driven out on Windermere by people taking the opportunity to try out their skating skills.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria