‘Get your hands on a winners’ medal’
Published at 10:39, Saturday, 03 October 2009
PERHAPS we’ll never know if Halifax coach Matt Calland regrets the boast that his side were the best team in the Championship by ‘a country mile’.
After that comment, following a golden-point Challenge Cup defeat to Castleford, his side never looked the dominating force they had been at the start of the season.
But that has not taken away the determination in the Fax camp to overcome a disappointing end of the campaign by reversing the semi-final play-off defeat to Barrow in tomorrow’s Grand Final.
Fax have won only two of their last eight games, but Calland believes the 36-30 semi-final victory over Featherstone Rovers last week will help push them on to victory.
“It’s a good platform, but there’s still improvement to be made,” he said.
“We’ve had a full week to enjoy the build-up and now we can’t wait for the Grand Final – it’s a dream come true. We’re over the moon to be in the final. And I feel as though a lead weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
“We hadn’t been playing well, but the enthusiasm and the effort of the players saw us through.”
The Halifax coach is confident a place in the Grand Final is a sign of things to come for the West Yorkshire side, but has warned the squad to make the most of their opportunities on Sunday.
“We’ve got a really strong side now, we’ve ticked a box for a Super League licence, the new stand is happening at the stadium, we just need to get more fans in,” added Calland.
“Hopefully being in a big final will keep the crowds growing.
“I’ve told the players from experience – there’s no worse feeling than losing a game like this. Get your hands on those winners’ medals.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Thousands tackle Great North Swim at Windermere (4 comments)
- Full steam ahead as Windermere museum gets £200k
- Plans for 'world class' Lake District tourist attraction get £200k boost
- Victorian theme as Lake District school marks its 150th birthday
- Mum and daughter who died on Windermere were poisoned by carbon monoxide, report shows
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
- Cumbrian storms to victory as runners pound round lake
- Windermere rangers take the helm of new patrol boat
- Cumbria County Council election
- Quick action averts second Windermere tragedy
- Calls for more regulations following Lakes boat tragedy
- Decision over 'caravan park' extension in Lakes
- Cumbria detective describes mother and daughter Windermere boat deaths as “an absolute tragedy” (1 comment)
- Cumbria police hunt armed poacher (4 comments)
- Young Windermere Beatrix Potter fans are all ears for Pigling Bland tales
- CCTV appears to show man stealing charity collection box from Windermere pub
- Divers to pluck litter from lake Windermere in ‘largest UK event of its kind’
- Businesswoman launches gifts inspired by Windermere ‘monster’
- Pupils follow Leo’s footsteps
- Gadgets help crack down on Windermere speeders
- Big Chill swim in Windermere
- Bowness protesters voice repository fears (7 comments)
- Cumbria fly tipper fined £705 by South Lakes council
- Drug trafficking Windermere couple stripped of assets
- Supermarket chain heads to Windermere
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- No title
- No title
- Relentless Rovers rout Raiders (1 comment)
- Woof justice for dynamic dog duo Dex and Bailey
- Builder charged with raping girl, 15
- Dugdale volleys Utd to glory
- Attraction is a real favourite
- Late Luton Town goal denies Barrow AFC a point (1 comment)
- Runners crowned as Black Combe champs
- No time to delay to save planet - MP Reed (3 comments)
- Change of plan for Ulverston Sainsbury’s (13 comments)
- Ulverston massage studio refutes rumours
- Video binoculars catch speeders
- Coeliac disease: 'I have to bring my own food to parties'
- Speed radar trained on low-flying jets
- Cumbria rapist handed 12 year jail term
- The Ulverston Summer 10k race
- Hotel hiring out new green cars
- Unpaid work for Walney horse porn man
- Hotelier’s Channel challenge