FOR many there’s an air of back to work today and a sense that the summer is drawing to a close.
There’s still a week left of the school holidays but with the last summer bank holiday having come and gone, it’s a case of returning to routine for many.
It’s been a summer of contrasts. There’s been the euphoria of the Olympics and still with the Paralympics to look forward to from tomorrow.
But there’s been the wet and dismal weather which cancelled even more events in south and west Cumbria yesterday, combined with far from sunny news on the economy.
So to cheer you up on your first day back today, consider this. There are job advertisements in the Evening Mail today for a range of posts at Glaxo in Ulverston. It is not every area in the land which can look forward with such optimism to the economic boost a new factory of a major employer will be bringing.
Then there’s news in today’s edition of the launch of a “Take The Plunge” initiative by Furness Enterprise to get more people into setting up their own business.
This is on the back of the Coastal Communities Fund grant Furness Enterprise did so well to win.
Not too far down the coast in Blackpool, there is disappointment they missed out on funding from this source. That highlights we should be celebrating this success and, when it comes to the wider view, looking on the bright side and doing what we can to make this an even better place to live, work and play.
Published: August 28, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Competitors show skills at Cumbria agricultural spectacle
- Hounds blaze a trail at celebration of rural life in Cumbria
- Barrow police appeal for witnesses to assault which left woman with broken rib
- Kendal Calling festival was ‘out of this world’
- PHOTOS: Visitors flock to Lake District for Grasmere Sports
- Morrisons submits Windermere store proposal (3 comments)
- Cumbria fire service offer summer cookery safety tips
- Smiths legend Johnny Marr praises Twitterband (1 comment)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33