Haggis for all
Last updated at 15:16, Monday, 30 January 2012
THIS week Scots all over the world have been celebrating Burns Night with traditional food and music.
To help celebrate Scotland’s national poet, Robert Burns, we have this group of pictures showing members of the Walney Jolly Beggars Ladies’ Burns Club.
They were kindly supplied by Nina Anzalone, of Robert Street, Barrow, from a picture album put together by her mother.
Lilian Nicholson, of Orontes Avenue, Walney, was a past president and secretary of the club.
We only have a date for one of the pictures but the rest will all be from the 1960s to the 1980s.
A cutting in the album notes the 21st anniversary dinner when the five oldest members were Mrs Dalzell, Donaldson, Rushton, Davies and Warriner.
Another news snippet from 1983 said the club celebrated its 54th annual dinner at the Lisdoonie, on Abbey Road, Barrow. That year the piper was Bill Park.
First published at 16:49, Friday, 27 January 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5