Haggis for all
Last updated at 15:16, Monday, 30 January 2012
THIS week Scots all over the world have been celebrating Burns Night with traditional food and music.
To help celebrate Scotland’s national poet, Robert Burns, we have this group of pictures showing members of the Walney Jolly Beggars Ladies’ Burns Club.
They were kindly supplied by Nina Anzalone, of Robert Street, Barrow, from a picture album put together by her mother.
Lilian Nicholson, of Orontes Avenue, Walney, was a past president and secretary of the club.
We only have a date for one of the pictures but the rest will all be from the 1960s to the 1980s.
A cutting in the album notes the 21st anniversary dinner when the five oldest members were Mrs Dalzell, Donaldson, Rushton, Davies and Warriner.
Another news snippet from 1983 said the club celebrated its 54th annual dinner at the Lisdoonie, on Abbey Road, Barrow. That year the piper was Bill Park.
First published at 16:49, Friday, 27 January 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon