Hawkshead Esthwaite Primary School asks for help to win new building
Last updated at 16:57, Friday, 11 January 2013
A SOUTH Lakes village school has called on its community’s help in a bid to win £80,000.
Hawkshead Esthwaite Primary School is one of six finalists in a national competition to win a fully-constructed timber classroom.
The South Cumbrian school is the only finalist north of Birmingham in the give away run by the Times Educational Supplement and Clearspace Buildings.
The Hawkshead school was shortlisted from more than 600 entries and staff and pupils hope to win the modern Cedarwood building to replace its pre-school building, which is in urgent need of repair.
Hawkshead Pre-School, which is on the school site, is run as a charity.
The existing building, which was bought after a fundraising effort, has started to rot, has fungus and the roof leaks.
The pre-school had already decided to start fundraising for a new building.
The winning school will get to pick the design and layout and the building will be constructed during Easter.
Hawkshead Esthwaite headteacher, Joyce Hallam, and bursar Terry McGarr spotted the competition and Mr McGarr submitted an application.
Mrs Hallam said: “It would be amazing if we won, it would be such a boost for the pre-school and the school, and the community because it would be used for other purposes.
“We would like a building that is eco-friendly and better quality. We would be delighted if people wish to support us.”
Mrs Hallam said having a pre-school on site was very important for a small school.
Tracey Thornley, Hawkshead Pre-School leader, said: “A new building would just be brilliant to solve all our problems.
“We have had a leaky roof for a while and wet patches. There is also rot and fungus.”
All the finalists created short videos about their bid. Hawkshead’s video is set to the Bee Gees song Stayin’ Alive.
Westmorland and Lonsdale MP Tim Farron said: “The school is the hub of the community and plays a key role in community life.
“I hope that residents from throughout South Lakeland will join with me and support them in their bid for this £80,000 building.
“Our votes could make a massive difference to young people in Hawkshead and the surrounding villages so please do vote.”
Voting begins on Thursday at www.tes.connect.com/building.
It is open to those registered at the TES website, which is free to join.
First published at 16:44, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
- What are the ISA rules when it comes to how much I can put in?
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5