Keswick to Barrow 2012 - Go the distance
Last updated at 15:11, Monday, 26 November 2012
THREE decades after completing his first Keswick to Barrow, Richard Woodhouse, 69, has been bitten by the walking bug again.
For the past three years he’s travelled from his home in Maidstone, Kent, bringing teammates from Northampton and Cardiff with him.
“It’s a lovely opportunity to come back to the area,” said Richard, who first came to Barrow in 1975 to work in the planning department of Barrow Town Hall.
“In the planning department was a chap called Colin Phillips and he is a very keen walker, and he might have done the walk since the very beginning.
“He’s done it more than 30 times and it was very difficult not to get roped in.
“All the time I worked in Barrow, we did the K2B walk each year as the Town Hall team.”
A few years ago Richard decided to return for the Keswick to Barrow and completed his 20th walk this year.
He said: “With a bit of a difference in age I resumed it with a couple of friends. We all thoroughly enjoyed it – and survived it and have done it for the last three years.
“The nature of the walk has changed so much over the years. You meet a lot of people who don’t come from the Furness area.
“When I first did it, it was very much a Barrow thing. These days it’s much more organised. People come from all over the country.”
First published at 16:16, Friday, 23 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
- Jeremy Kyle Barrow adventure - pair bailed
- ‘Normal’ Barrow couple’s secret world of affairs and sick fantasies
- After man banned from starting race with starting pistol, have health and safety rules gone too far? (4 comments)
- Regal Windermere boat joins Queen on majestic Thames cruise (1 comment)
- Prisoner who plotted mass murder from cell jailed
- Shock closure of Cumbria business enterprise group (14 comments)
- Artists’ work on show
Light up a life
Go green 36
Post 16 education
Go green 36