Lake hotel wins top award
Published at 13:15, Wednesday, 28 April 2010
A FOUR-STAR Lake District hotel has been named the best in England in the country’s foremost tourism awards.
Gilpin Lodge Country House on Crook Road, Windermere, won gold in the best small hotel category.
It is the fifth time in as many years that a Cumbrian tourism business has brought home one of the coveted accommodation accolades at the Enjoy England Awards For Excellence.
The awards are organised by Visit England, the national tourism authority, and celebrate the best of English tourism.
The family-run Gilpin Lodge is owned by husband and wife team John and Christine Cunliffe, and run by son Barney and wife Zoe.
It has been in the family for more than 20 years and was described by judges as an “elegant 20-bedroom hotel,” with service levels that rate “amongst the highest in the country”.
Fourteen of the bedrooms lead directly out onto the lodge’s gardens and guests can undergo luxury spa treatments in their own rooms with ‘on-call’ therapists.
The hotel qualified to take part in the national competition after winning the hotel category in the Cumbria Tourism Awards 2009, and repeating this success at the England’s Northwest Tourism Awards in September 2009.
The 46 gold and silver winners were selected from over 100 regional winners submitted by the nine regions of England, and were rigorously assessed by independent assessors and a team of judges to make it through to the national final.
Ian Stephens, chief executive of Cumbria Tourism, said: “Once again, Cumbria has demonstrated that it is at the top of its game in the country when it comes to superb places to stay. The accommodation category is the most difficult to win and for Cumbria to have had five winners in this section in the last five years bears testament to the joint work of the industry and Tourist Board in the investment in improving the area’s quality standards. We extend our wholehearted congratulations to the team at Gilpin Lodge.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
- Cumbria weather is a show-stopper
- ‘Reckless’ Ulverston driver seen near Cumbria school (12 comments)
- Jail is right for 999 hoaxers
- Bluebirds sweat on injured trio
- Potato alter-ego kept secret in Biggar
- Man, 21, wins £30k in online poker tournament (4 comments)
- No title
- Nurture group cash
- Drunk Barrow hospital patient fined
- Big Clean 2014
- Cumbrian teenager brought American blues club to its feet
- Conservative club put up for sale at £750,000
- PLEA FOR BYPASS
- Molly Talks Telly
- Two arrested following Barrow club assault
- Pumping station in Lakeland
- Wildcat strikes see 900 contractors walk off the job at Sellafield nuke plant
- Caitlin makes career change
- County exercise for RAF
- Cumbria weather is a show-stopper
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
Go green 34