THERE are many oddities about the workings of central government.
But the news that Barrow Council must take a loan from a government body, to pay a sum of cash it owes to none other than the government, is plain crazy.
Someone, somewhere, is being paid to come up with such crazy solutions.
And it is an absolute outrage. The fact Barrow has historically done badly out of the housing revenue account is bad enough, when other towns and cities prosper under the very same scheme.
That it is being forced to plunge almost £50 million into the red to service central government’s debt, is off the scale of stupidity.
In some ways, the new scheme makes sense.
But something is seriously wrong when a council must pay up front, what it will earn over the next 30 years.
How on earth is this fair? How does it help a town with some of the most deprived wards in the country at a time when the UK is on its knees financially.
The scheme, and the way it works is fatally flawed.
It maybe that the boundaries are immoveable. And it may be that representations have already been made.
But let’s not tumble into record levels of debt.
We should be fighting this, not simply taking it on the chin.
Published: December 16, 2011
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Right to know how cash spent
- All sides of debate should be heard
- Growing skills for the future
- Ambulance cover must be reviewed
- Police school calls will shock many
- Election debate is great opportunity
- Safe place to be despite figures
- Listen to those who know roads
- Whitehall action needed on A595
- Town will rise to marathon task
- Don’t take NHS care for granted
- Everyone must play their part
- Urgent help to tackle weight
- Luxury cars are not a necessity (1 comment)
- Still room for improvement
- Health proposals must have support
More Windermere news
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
Evening Mail homepage
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life