Last updated at 11:51, Friday, 28 September 2012
Mental health week events
WORLD Mental Health Week (October 8 to 15) will be marked in West Cumbria starting with an autumn celebration on Tuesday, October 9 (11am to 3pm), at Mansion Gardens, Newlands Lane, Workington.
The open air event will include entertainment, refreshments, stalls and gifts.
On Thursday, October 11 (10am to noon and 1pm to 3pm), there will be street collections and live musical performances in Workington (am) and Keswick (pm) town centres.
On Monday, October 15 (7.30pm) there will be a movie night held at the Carnegie Theatre in Workington, which will include short films or film clips on mental health, followed by discussion.
For more information contact Suzanne: People First Building, 4-6 Oxford Building, Workington CA14 2AH, 01900 66518, Suzanne@ mindinwestcumbria.org. uk.
Marra makes it into dictionary
CUMBRIAN dialect may baffle some visitors to the county but one word has definitely made it big after being included in the dictionary for the first time.
‘Marra’ – used mainly in West Cumbria to mean ‘mate’ – is now included in the Collins online dictionary.
It has announced 86 new words to be added to the site as it embraces the “evolution of the English language”.
Members of the public were invited to submit suggestions, and editors waded through more than 4,000 entries to come up with the latest additions.
Marra is defined as “a northern English dialect form of mate”.
POLICE officers investigating an attempted theft from a black Kia Picanto from Main Street in Hensingham.
The culprits caused damage to the vehicle’s door on Tuesday, September 4, as they tried to make their way in.
CORROSIVE liquid was poured over a green Suzuki vehicle at Haverigg between Monday, September 10, and Wednesday, September 12 .
Anyone with any information should contact PC Burgess on 101.
First published at 11:05, Thursday, 20 September 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Dad assaulted his wife as child slept in same room
- Cumbria school nurse to face hearing
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5