Last updated at 11:51, Friday, 28 September 2012
Mental health week events
WORLD Mental Health Week (October 8 to 15) will be marked in West Cumbria starting with an autumn celebration on Tuesday, October 9 (11am to 3pm), at Mansion Gardens, Newlands Lane, Workington.
The open air event will include entertainment, refreshments, stalls and gifts.
On Thursday, October 11 (10am to noon and 1pm to 3pm), there will be street collections and live musical performances in Workington (am) and Keswick (pm) town centres.
On Monday, October 15 (7.30pm) there will be a movie night held at the Carnegie Theatre in Workington, which will include short films or film clips on mental health, followed by discussion.
For more information contact Suzanne: People First Building, 4-6 Oxford Building, Workington CA14 2AH, 01900 66518, Suzanne@ mindinwestcumbria.org. uk.
Marra makes it into dictionary
CUMBRIAN dialect may baffle some visitors to the county but one word has definitely made it big after being included in the dictionary for the first time.
‘Marra’ – used mainly in West Cumbria to mean ‘mate’ – is now included in the Collins online dictionary.
It has announced 86 new words to be added to the site as it embraces the “evolution of the English language”.
Members of the public were invited to submit suggestions, and editors waded through more than 4,000 entries to come up with the latest additions.
Marra is defined as “a northern English dialect form of mate”.
POLICE officers investigating an attempted theft from a black Kia Picanto from Main Street in Hensingham.
The culprits caused damage to the vehicle’s door on Tuesday, September 4, as they tried to make their way in.
CORROSIVE liquid was poured over a green Suzuki vehicle at Haverigg between Monday, September 10, and Wednesday, September 12 .
Anyone with any information should contact PC Burgess on 101.
First published at 11:05, Thursday, 20 September 2012
Published by http://www.whitehavennews.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- How Joe and his bus became a valley lifeline
- New home for memorial?
- Blood donor session dates
- Ex-Workington Town player Livett is BARLA Bulldogs captain
- ‘I tried to save wife in snorkel horror’ – Carlisle husband
- Wigton's unsung heroes praised at awards ceremony
- Landlord Ben is new king of the Castle
- TV cooks Hairy Biker Dave Myers and James Martin film new show in Barrow (2 comments)
- Casson ready to spend £400k on Barrow AFC ground (1 comment)
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Guilty dentist ignored patients’ rotten teeth
- Celebrating our 140 years
- John Ruskin school prom
- Geoff to clean up with unique £500,000 railway track ‘hoover’
- Millions paid out over Sellafield cancer deaths
- Barrow Island BAE Systems shipyard parking fury (8 comments)
- Bowness sex beast jailed
- Barrow man accused of assaulting student found not guilty
- Long-awaited bird hide officially opens
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22