No jail for cowardly attack on ex-Barrow AFC reserves player
Last updated at 11:40, Tuesday, 24 March 2009
A MAN who carried out a cowardly attack on his former childhood friend has been given a suspended jail sentence.
Steven Thompson admitted the actual bodily harm assault on ex-Barrow AFC reserve player Daniel Pattinson, Preston Crown Court heard yesterday.
Mr Pattinson suffered a cracked cheekbone, black eye and swollen nose after the attack inside Reflections nightclub in Millom on October 5 last year.
Judge Norman Wright had earlier seen CCTV footage taken from inside the nightclub, where the offence took place in an upstairs smoking room.
Thompson, 21, had claimed he struck the victim once.
But after hearing evidence, Judge Wright found the defendant had punched Mr Pattinson a number of times – more than once – before he went to the floor and more than once while he was on the ground.
But there was no kicking.
Mr Frank Nance, prosecuting, said the defendant hit Mr Pattinson to the left side of the head, the blow causing him to turn.
He was then knocked down and punched while on the ground.
Mr Pattinson had made victim impact statements in which he spoke of having nightmares since the attack.
Thompson was a man of previous good character.
Mr Charles Brown, defending, said his client had lost his temper at the time and gone completely over the top.
Mr Brown said: “He is genuinely remorseful and has genuine insight into what he did and the consequences.
“He has learned a very severe lesson from what has already resulted from what he did.
“He will not do it again and there is no need for him to suffer immediate imprisonment.”
Mr Brown also said that Thompson was well thought of by his employers.
Judge Wright told Thompson: “It was a cowardly attack from behind. You punched him a number of times. There is absolutely no evidence that you kicked him.
“I accept that you are otherwise an honest and industrious person.”
Thompson, of Settle Street, Millom, was given a 35-week prison sentence, suspended for two years, with two years’ supervision.
He was ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work and told he will be on a night-time curfew from 9pm to 6am for 10 weeks.
First published at 11:52, Saturday, 21 March 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria