Plan for plastic and cardboard collection in South Lakes
Last updated at 16:34, Thursday, 20 September 2012
PLASTIC and cardboard could be collected from the kerbside in Ulverston within the next 18 months.
A trial period of the new service, approved at a meeting of South Lakeland District Council’s cabinet committee yesterday, will begin in Kendal next month.
Should it prove a success, the extra collections could then be introduced to other parts of South Lakeland.
Councillor Clare Feeney-Johnson, SLDC’s environment boss, said she hoped it would be possible to include all residents in the future.
“I’m very jealous that my home isn’t included in this trial,” she told the Evening Mail. “But we will learn a lot from the next six months which will enable us to look at how quickly we can introduce plastic and cardboard recycling in other areas within South Lakeland.”
The trial is set to begin on October 15 and will affect more than 7,000 homes in Kendal.
Householders will be given bags for plastics while being asked to place cardboard in their existing paper recycling boxes.
Cllr Feeney-Johnson, who began work to bring the project to fruition when she was elected in 2006, claimed the public was eager to get the extra recycling collections.
She said: “We have excellent residents in South Lakeland who are keen to push recycling forward all the time.
“They want to know why we can’t have plastic and cardboard collections like they do in Lancaster and Preston.
“But the geography of the area means cost is a key factor.’’
Ulverston councillor Janette Jenkinson described herself as “jealous” that Kendal would be trialling the kerbside collection first.
“I hope it’s rolled out quickly because I just know it’s going to be a success,” she said.
“I’m very proud of this authority because of its recycling.’’
First published at 11:37, Wednesday, 19 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- 170 tackle Windermere Triathlon
- Windermere airshow
- Crisis club could hurt us – Workington Reds' Edmo
- Passionate Furness General Hospital chefs do best for the patients
- Challengers leave Scafell Pike in a ‘disgusting’ state
- Coeliac disease: 'I have to bring my own food to parties'
- Carlisle man avoided prison by sending letter to judge
- No title
- Blyth boss Cassidy fails in bid to lure Workington Reds number two
- No title
- Millom mum dies in savage knife attack - stabbed 41 times
- Driver fails to stop after hitting car wing mirror in Dalton (7 comments)
- Warning after Cumbria boy (4) killed in bunk bed tragedy
- Barrow soldier in coma after holiday balcony fall
- Tributes paid after death of Millom man
- BAE Systems release half year results (21 comments)
- Cumbria school nurse to face hearing
- Cyclist, 23, is killed on way to work – inquest
- Record breaking Windermere swim is sunk by boat breakdown
- Cumbria man illegally worked as dentist
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens