Police launch investigation after biker killed in Ulverston crash
Last updated at 18:00, Thursday, 29 September 2011
POLICE are investigating following a fatal crash in Ulverston.
Two cars, a motorcycle and a pedal cycle were involved in the accident at Urswick Road, Ulverston, at around 5.30pm yesterday.
Local residents and paramedics attempted to revive the motorcyclist, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A Cumbria police spokesman confirmed the motorbike rider had died in the incident, which occurred at the junction of Birkett Drive and Urswick Road.
He said: “As a result of the collision, the motorcyclist received serious injuries and, despite the efforts of paramedics and local residents, was pronounced dead at the scene.”
The cyclist was flown by the North West Air Ambulance to Furness General Hospital with suspected arm and leg fractures. Both car drivers were uninjured.
Urswick Road, between the Birkett Drive and Meeting House Lane junctions, was closed for almost five hours while a police accident team carried out a scene investigation.
Police have said the identity of the motorcyclist will be revealed once family members have been contacted.
Police are asking any witnesses to contact PC 582 Phil Renney on 0845 3300 247.
Pat Appleton, co-ordinator of Croftlands Community Safety Group, said she wasn’t aware of any serious accidents on the road in the past.
She said: “I’m not aware of any accidents that have occurred there. But I know there have been a few issues with speeding vehicles. Obviously though, I’m not aware that speeding was a factor in this accident.”
Ulverston town councillor Jim Prosser, who lives on nearby Birkett Drive, said the police have tried to crack down on speeding problems in the area.
Cllr Prosser said: “We are plagued with speeding in Urswick Road. Residents have complained for some time and I as a councillor for the west of Ulverston have also complained myself. The police have tried and tried to curtail vehicles speeding, but it’s still really bad.”
First published at 13:33, Thursday, 29 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Having a ball for charity
- Matty 'Steel' memorial concert
- Positive outlook for LLWR
- Minister famous for his crosswords dies
- Cheeky Dalton penguin p-p-picks up and wears girl’s lost necklace
- Barrow Sixth Form College students hug, kiss and tweet success
- Workington couple take ‘cowboy’ builders complaints to the ombudsman (5 comments)
- No way to run railways
- Incest mum back in the spotlight
- Your guide to flood fundraising events
- Millions paid out over Sellafield cancer deaths
- Barrow Island BAE Systems shipyard parking fury (8 comments)
- John Ruskin school prom
- Three people charged in connection with Cumbria burglary
- Barrow man accused of assaulting student found not guilty
- Dalton and Risedale hopefuls fight for council chance
- County to host world marmalade festival
- Barrow and District Mixed Darts League awards evening 2014
- Creative Haverigg children scoop arts accolade for school
- Drink drive mum had young daughter in back seat, Carlisle court told
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22