Pumping station in Lakeland
Published at 13:00, Friday, 12 February 2010
A NEW pumping station will help improve a lake’s water quality.
The Lake District National Park Authority has given planning permission for a new pumping station near Hawkshead to help purify the water content of Esthwaite Water.
Esthwaite Water is a Grade I Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Ramsar site (Wetland site internationally important for wildlife).
United Utilities applied to build a new pumping station opposite Esthwaite Lodge Youth Hostel.
Mairi Lock, the planning officer who dealt with it under delegated powers, said the new pumping station was proposed “as a result of requirements to reduce the phosophorous content of Esthwaite Water based on the Habitats Directive.”
The scheme included provision of additional “storm surge” storage and new pumping station and transfer main to pass flows to the waste water treatment works at Hawkshead.
Hawkshead Parish Council said the new pumping station was “a necessary intrusive development” but the proposed landscaping “would eventually screen the area”.
The council recommended its approval.
Ms Lock considered that, while the building and compound would have some visual intrusion and impact on the landscape, “it would not result in such harm as to warrant a refusal considering all other material considerations”.
She said the new pumping station would be further away from residential properties than the existing one and would not result in noise nuisance.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- The University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust boss quits (25 comments)
- Neighbour’s plea rejected as Bowness housing plan goes ahead
- Millom mum dies in savage knife attack - stabbed 41 times
- Barrow kart boss from Askam beaten by gang of thugs in Ulverston
- Admiral launches floating passenger jetty on lake
- Windermere Golf Club
- Aiming for Olympic glory
- Warning after Cumbria boy (4) killed in bunk bed tragedy
- Highs and lows on the road for Dalton girls in trio of games in South Lakes League