Pumping station in Lakeland
Published at 13:00, Friday, 12 February 2010
A NEW pumping station will help improve a lake’s water quality.
The Lake District National Park Authority has given planning permission for a new pumping station near Hawkshead to help purify the water content of Esthwaite Water.
Esthwaite Water is a Grade I Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Ramsar site (Wetland site internationally important for wildlife).
United Utilities applied to build a new pumping station opposite Esthwaite Lodge Youth Hostel.
Mairi Lock, the planning officer who dealt with it under delegated powers, said the new pumping station was proposed “as a result of requirements to reduce the phosophorous content of Esthwaite Water based on the Habitats Directive.”
The scheme included provision of additional “storm surge” storage and new pumping station and transfer main to pass flows to the waste water treatment works at Hawkshead.
Hawkshead Parish Council said the new pumping station was “a necessary intrusive development” but the proposed landscaping “would eventually screen the area”.
The council recommended its approval.
Ms Lock considered that, while the building and compound would have some visual intrusion and impact on the landscape, “it would not result in such harm as to warrant a refusal considering all other material considerations”.
She said the new pumping station would be further away from residential properties than the existing one and would not result in noise nuisance.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon