Relish the taste of Cumbria
Last updated at 10:23, Thursday, 22 July 2010
THE Relish Cumbria cookbook, featuring inspired recipes from the region’s finest chefs and including some of the very best produce, was launched at The Samling hotel on Lake Windermere this week.
The foodie bible unashamedly champions the region’s best produce, and makes a fantastic gift.
There is a foreword by Nigel Mendham the head chef at The Samling hotel near Ambleside. Nigel is the region’s latest Michelin starred chef and was described by The Times as a ‘master of local produce’.
It offers a flavour of the region through menus provided by chefs from the best restaurants and hotels across the whole of Cumbria.
The 208 page glossy hardback book contains many unique recipes and is priced at £17.50 and is available at local and national bookshops as well as on line at www.relishpublications.co.uk.
The book has entries from Miller Howe, the fifteen times Michelin starred Sharrow Bay, Gilpin Lodge, plus many other talented chefs from our region. Each of the head chefs have submitted a three-course meal showcasing their talents and also champions the superb produce of the region, from Herdwick Lamb to line caught Sea Bass to organic beef and local pork.
Nigel explains: “As a chef there isn’t a better place to live and work than in Cumbria. Before I moved up to this unique region it was synonymous with two characteristics in my mind – fantastic local produce and breathtaking scenery. This isn’t a coincidence. The fresh Lakeland air, diversity of soil and purity of water make this region truly special for the most discerning foodies. I do hope you enjoy discovering what this amazing region has to offer in the pages of this book.”
l A fruit or vegetable juice is an easy way to get at least one portion of the five-a-day recommended, and kitchen appliance manufacturer Dualit has added a snazzy, new Juice Extractor to its range of stylish gadgets.
A double filter mechanism produces pure juice without froth, and it has an extra capacity 2.2 litre pulp container and 1.6 litre juice jug to allow for continuous juicing of fruit and vegetables.
The generous-sized feeding tube can take large pieces of fruit such as whole apples.
l In our food review last week we mistakenly mentioned that the Wok Express takeaway is located in Ormsgill. We would like to make it clear the takeaway has moved and is now located on Park Road in Barrow.
First published at 13:05, Friday, 02 July 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Windermere Lake Wardens rescue elderly man
- Power tools stolen in South Cumbria van raid
- Tributes paid to well known Cumbria mountain rescue leader
- £2m plans to transform Windermere shoreline and bring jobs
- Your chance to help Waterbird take to Cumbria skies
- South Lakes man thanks air ambulance crew
- New exhibition set to open in Lakes centre
- Planners put brakes on South Lakes ferry site regeneration
- Police in appeal over card skimming device found in Windermere
- Cumbria woman jailed after admitting assault
- Lib Dems retain at Bowness by-election
- Cumbria cash machines alert
- Sighting of missing girl reported in Bowness
- Police hunt for Bowness shoplifters
- Windermere hosts All England Stone Skimming Championships 2013 (1 comment)
- Staff at the Lakes School rejoice at A-Level results
- Electric trains boost for Cumbria would cut journey time between Lake District and Manchester (4 comments)
- Missing Leeds man, due to appear on trial for sex offences, thought to be in South Cumbria
- Plans for £2m boost for Lake District shoreline unveiled
- Praise for Cumbria life-savers after Windermere man's heart attack (1 comment)
- Disruption warning for South Cumbria motorists ahead of royal visit (1 comment)
- Cumbria company's kitchenwares for Dr Who fans who could exterminate for a cuppa
- Seven illegal workers face deportation following South Cumbria raids (4 comments)
- Two people taken to hospital following crash on A591 in Cumbria (3 comments)
- Controversial Windermere farm building plan approved
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Family Notices
- Competition rules
- Advertise with us
- Reader Travel
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans