Relish the taste of Cumbria
Last updated at 10:23, Thursday, 22 July 2010
THE Relish Cumbria cookbook, featuring inspired recipes from the region’s finest chefs and including some of the very best produce, was launched at The Samling hotel on Lake Windermere this week.
The foodie bible unashamedly champions the region’s best produce, and makes a fantastic gift.
There is a foreword by Nigel Mendham the head chef at The Samling hotel near Ambleside. Nigel is the region’s latest Michelin starred chef and was described by The Times as a ‘master of local produce’.
It offers a flavour of the region through menus provided by chefs from the best restaurants and hotels across the whole of Cumbria.
The 208 page glossy hardback book contains many unique recipes and is priced at £17.50 and is available at local and national bookshops as well as on line at www.relishpublications.co.uk.
The book has entries from Miller Howe, the fifteen times Michelin starred Sharrow Bay, Gilpin Lodge, plus many other talented chefs from our region. Each of the head chefs have submitted a three-course meal showcasing their talents and also champions the superb produce of the region, from Herdwick Lamb to line caught Sea Bass to organic beef and local pork.
Nigel explains: “As a chef there isn’t a better place to live and work than in Cumbria. Before I moved up to this unique region it was synonymous with two characteristics in my mind – fantastic local produce and breathtaking scenery. This isn’t a coincidence. The fresh Lakeland air, diversity of soil and purity of water make this region truly special for the most discerning foodies. I do hope you enjoy discovering what this amazing region has to offer in the pages of this book.”
l A fruit or vegetable juice is an easy way to get at least one portion of the five-a-day recommended, and kitchen appliance manufacturer Dualit has added a snazzy, new Juice Extractor to its range of stylish gadgets.
A double filter mechanism produces pure juice without froth, and it has an extra capacity 2.2 litre pulp container and 1.6 litre juice jug to allow for continuous juicing of fruit and vegetables.
The generous-sized feeding tube can take large pieces of fruit such as whole apples.
l In our food review last week we mistakenly mentioned that the Wok Express takeaway is located in Ormsgill. We would like to make it clear the takeaway has moved and is now located on Park Road in Barrow.
First published at 13:05, Friday, 02 July 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Three Cumbria fraudsters ordered to repay £360,000
- Windermere Lake Wardens rescue elderly man
- Power tools stolen in South Cumbria van raid
- Tributes paid to well known Cumbria mountain rescue leader
- £2m plans to transform Windermere shoreline and bring jobs
- Your chance to help Waterbird take to Cumbria skies
- South Lakes man thanks air ambulance crew
- New exhibition set to open in Lakes centre
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Comedy stars get a taste of the Lakes for latest TV show (2 comments)
- Astonishing prices
- Little known genius
- Cumbria solicitor warns over deadline for care cash claims
- Manecco dance competition at Barrow Sixth Form College
- Diving is still cheating Gary (1 comment)
- Prince Charles itinerary revealed for visit to Cumbria
- 2012 is a chance for a fresh start
- EM VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH BAE SYSTEMS' JOHN HUDSON.
- Dramatic rescue during Maryport Blues Festival puts lifesavers in line for awards (10 comments)