Relish the taste of Cumbria
Last updated at 10:23, Thursday, 22 July 2010
THE Relish Cumbria cookbook, featuring inspired recipes from the region’s finest chefs and including some of the very best produce, was launched at The Samling hotel on Lake Windermere this week.
The foodie bible unashamedly champions the region’s best produce, and makes a fantastic gift.
There is a foreword by Nigel Mendham the head chef at The Samling hotel near Ambleside. Nigel is the region’s latest Michelin starred chef and was described by The Times as a ‘master of local produce’.
It offers a flavour of the region through menus provided by chefs from the best restaurants and hotels across the whole of Cumbria.
The 208 page glossy hardback book contains many unique recipes and is priced at £17.50 and is available at local and national bookshops as well as on line at www.relishpublications.co.uk.
The book has entries from Miller Howe, the fifteen times Michelin starred Sharrow Bay, Gilpin Lodge, plus many other talented chefs from our region. Each of the head chefs have submitted a three-course meal showcasing their talents and also champions the superb produce of the region, from Herdwick Lamb to line caught Sea Bass to organic beef and local pork.
Nigel explains: “As a chef there isn’t a better place to live and work than in Cumbria. Before I moved up to this unique region it was synonymous with two characteristics in my mind – fantastic local produce and breathtaking scenery. This isn’t a coincidence. The fresh Lakeland air, diversity of soil and purity of water make this region truly special for the most discerning foodies. I do hope you enjoy discovering what this amazing region has to offer in the pages of this book.”
l A fruit or vegetable juice is an easy way to get at least one portion of the five-a-day recommended, and kitchen appliance manufacturer Dualit has added a snazzy, new Juice Extractor to its range of stylish gadgets.
A double filter mechanism produces pure juice without froth, and it has an extra capacity 2.2 litre pulp container and 1.6 litre juice jug to allow for continuous juicing of fruit and vegetables.
The generous-sized feeding tube can take large pieces of fruit such as whole apples.
l In our food review last week we mistakenly mentioned that the Wok Express takeaway is located in Ormsgill. We would like to make it clear the takeaway has moved and is now located on Park Road in Barrow.
First published at 13:05, Friday, 02 July 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Celebrating our 140 years
- Millions paid out over Sellafield cancer deaths
- Barrow Island BAE Systems shipyard parking fury (8 comments)
- John Ruskin school prom
- Three people charged in connection with Cumbria burglary
- Barrow man accused of assaulting student found not guilty
- South Lakes couple win £2.7 million on Lotto (9 comments)
- Long-awaited bird hide officially opens
- Dad fined for false benefit claims
- Dalton and Risedale hopefuls fight for council chance
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22