Resolutions provide boost to Windermere swim event
Last updated at 14:51, Monday, 02 January 2012
MORE than 6,000 people have already signed up to take part in the UK’s biggest outdoor mass-participation swim six months ahead of the event.
Thousands of people have decided they will take the plunge in 2012 and get involved in the British Gas Great North Swim.
The popular event will be held in Windermere over the weekend of June 22 to 24.
Almost two-thirds of the 10,000 places have been filled with people making a fitness new year resolution to take part in the event.
They will swim a half-mile, one-mile or two-mile course in England’s largest lake.
The Lake District event attracts world-class swimmers, such as former Olympic medallist Cassie Patten and double Commonwealth Games gold medallist Dave Carry, who both competed in the elite race last year.
The swimmers will be cheered on by thousands of spectators invited to watch the action from the grandstand seating or on big screens set around the lake over the weekend.
Since open water swimming returned to the Olympic programme at the 2008 Games in Beijing, the sport has become increasingly popular with club and recreational swimmers. The British Gas Great Swim Series, which features five open water swims in Greater Manchester, London, Suffolk and Glasgow, as well as Cumbria, has captured the imaginations of swimmers of all abilities across the UK.
More than 20,000 swimmers took part in a British Gas Great Swim event in 2011, many raising money for a host of charities, while others tried to beat their personal best times, or newcomers were content with taking on the challenge to get fit while training for their open water debut.
Details about the British Gas Great North Swim can be found at www.greatswim.org.
First published at 13:11, Monday, 02 January 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
- Person taken to hospital following Walney shed fire
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Jeremy Kyle Barrow adventure - pair bailed
- After man banned from starting race with starting pistol, have health and safety rules gone too far? (4 comments)
- Regal Windermere boat joins Queen on majestic Thames cruise (1 comment)
- Prisoner who plotted mass murder from cell jailed
- ‘Normal’ Barrow couple’s secret world of affairs and sick fantasies
- Furness Magistrates’ Court, holds celebration for retired magistrates (1 comment)
- Shock closure of Cumbria business enterprise group (14 comments)
- Prepare to fall in love with Aphrodite’s hotel
Light up a life
Go green 36
Post 16 education
Go green 36