Sauna blaze sparks evacuation of hotel
Last updated at 14:48, Saturday, 25 June 2011
A FIRE that broke out in a sauna at a South Lakes hotel forced guests to flee the building.
The blaze started at the Old England Hotel and Spa in Bowness just before 8am yesterday. No-one was injured.
Five fire engines attended the Macdonald chain hotel and 22 firefighters were involved in tackling the blaze.
Engines were deployed from Windermere, Staveley and Kendal.
A Cumbria Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said the last engine did not leave the scene until late yesterday afternoon.
The spokeswoman said the fire started in the sauna on the ground floor of the hotel.
She said: “The investigation is ongoing. We have no cause established. We are not aware of any injuries.”
Hotel guests had to evacuate the building and were initially taken to the nearby Stags Head Hotel, and then into St Martin’s Parish Church.
The hotel was open again by yesterday afternoon.
A spokeswoman for Macdonald Hotels said yesterday: “Earlier this morning at approximately 7.45am the fire alarm at the Macdonald Old England was triggered following the outbreak of small fire in the sauna area of the hotel spa.
“The safety of our guests is our top priority and hotel staff carried out a full evacuation of the property. We can confirm no guests have been harmed.
“The fire service attended and we are undertaking a full investigation to confirm the cause of the fire in line with our established health and safety procedures.
“Guests remained outside the property until the fire service carried out their initial investigation and confirmed the property was safe to return to. It is too early at this stage to comment on damage to the property, although our initial inspection suggests the fire was contained with minimal damage.”
First published at 10:35, Saturday, 25 June 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
Evening Mail homepage
- Poignant tribute to Amy Winehouse
- Cancer survivor's dragon boat ambition
- Festival gets bigger and better
- Just the biz
- Clean-up bid to make lake safe
- Dad tells of heartache as girlfriend and baby die (10 comments)
- New bid to turn former Talkin Tarn hotel into homes
- AFC game hit by snow
- Gadgets help crack down on Windermere speeders
- Tributes to teenager found dead in Barrow hostel (1 comment)
- Bravery award for police officers who ran into burning building to save woman
- Dragons’ Den star Duncan Bannatyne buys Lake District lodge (2 comments)
- Attacker went ‘berserk’ during argument with ex
- Levy could see supermarket profits ploughed into Ulverston (3 comments)
- What does it all mean?
- Barrow kart boss from Askam beaten by gang of thugs in Ulverston
- Former Haverigg woman ‘doused in spirit and set alight’ in Kendal
- Cumbrian woman, 41, dies after fall down stairs
- Big guns clash in round one
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens