Sauna blaze sparks evacuation of hotel
Last updated at 14:48, Saturday, 25 June 2011
A FIRE that broke out in a sauna at a South Lakes hotel forced guests to flee the building.
The blaze started at the Old England Hotel and Spa in Bowness just before 8am yesterday. No-one was injured.
Five fire engines attended the Macdonald chain hotel and 22 firefighters were involved in tackling the blaze.
Engines were deployed from Windermere, Staveley and Kendal.
A Cumbria Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said the last engine did not leave the scene until late yesterday afternoon.
The spokeswoman said the fire started in the sauna on the ground floor of the hotel.
She said: “The investigation is ongoing. We have no cause established. We are not aware of any injuries.”
Hotel guests had to evacuate the building and were initially taken to the nearby Stags Head Hotel, and then into St Martin’s Parish Church.
The hotel was open again by yesterday afternoon.
A spokeswoman for Macdonald Hotels said yesterday: “Earlier this morning at approximately 7.45am the fire alarm at the Macdonald Old England was triggered following the outbreak of small fire in the sauna area of the hotel spa.
“The safety of our guests is our top priority and hotel staff carried out a full evacuation of the property. We can confirm no guests have been harmed.
“The fire service attended and we are undertaking a full investigation to confirm the cause of the fire in line with our established health and safety procedures.
“Guests remained outside the property until the fire service carried out their initial investigation and confirmed the property was safe to return to. It is too early at this stage to comment on damage to the property, although our initial inspection suggests the fire was contained with minimal damage.”
First published at 10:35, Saturday, 25 June 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Family and friends devastated over young Ulverston mum-to-be’s death
- Jodi Pike graduation
- Life in a place of history
- Rory McGrath's new TV show provides timely boost for the Lakes (6 comments)
- Concern raised as National Grid announces route for Moorside power lines (1 comment)
- Blooming good fun at Holker
- ‘Barrow should be twinned’ (13 comments)
- R 'n' B club deals out another treat
- Divers discover WWII mortar bomb
- New £2m Carlisle football complex could create 30 jobs (10 comments)
- Have a ball – zorbing in Barrow Park (3 comments)
- Land sales
- South Cumbria church hopes to reuse graves for new burials
- Would-be leader Yvette's local links
- Tributes pour in for former Haven star Ged (2 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22