Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
Published at 13:08, Wednesday, 07 September 2011
A CONVICTED sex offender has been jailed for a year for breaching a court order.
Michael McShane, 46, was arrested on the evening of August 1 for a drunken jape in Lake Road, Bowness.
The incident happened soon after he was released from his latest prison sentence.
Police, alerted by members of the public because of the way he was behaving, found him bare-chested, with his trousers at half-mast and drinking from a sherry bottle.
He later told them he had withdrawn £50 from a bank that day and spent all of it on alcohol.
Police then discovered that, after a string of minor sex assaults on women and children, a Sexual Offences Prevention Order had been imposed on him 10 years ago in an attempt to control his behaviour.
At Carlisle Crown Court McShane, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to breaching the terms of that order – an offence that could have landed him with a five-year prison sentence.
It was his 283rd criminal conviction in a record that Judge Barbara Forrester described as possibly the worst she had ever seen.
Prosecuting counsel Brendan Burke told the court the order had been imposed in February 2011 – banning him from getting drunk in public – after an incident in which he groped a woman after drinking.
The court had decided that, when drunk, he posed a real risk of indecently assaulting women or children or exposing himself.
The court heard McShane admitted having “a very severe alcohol problem”.
A report from a probation officer said: “Because of his drinking, he has spent many years on and off in custody but these sentences have had very little impact, indeed no impact at all, on his behaviour.”
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Jail for drink-drive woman who had 3 children in car
- Glider launch site allowed extra flights
- Junior flyers came home with medals
- History-making Maryport firm’s Saracen's rugby team pitch is spot on
- Tribute to the British Schindler from man he saved
- Timid Ted among cats needing homes
- Fundraiser opens new chapter for Barrow band from the 1960s
- Vintage fire engine is rescued from orchard
- Photo roots in Europe
- Small trains at the station
- St Bees duo win GP14 class
- Wigwam bam!
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (10 comments)
- ‘Reckless’ Ulverston driver seen near Cumbria school (12 comments)
- No title
- Millom ‘cannabis farm’ burnt up (4 comments)
- Kikbak with an evening of jazz at Zeffirelli’s
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22