Last updated at 19:04, Friday, 27 February 2009
ON the shortlist for this award is PC Ollie Hamilton, who has served as the community police officer on the Ormsgill estate for the past seven years.
He has earned the trust of the estate’s residents and raised the profile of the police in the community.
His work has been praised by Chief Constable Michael Baxter, who presented him with a Good Policing Award.
He was particularly pleased with the drugs intelligence PC Hamilton has built up through his role, which helped bring a Liverpool drugs gang to justice.
PC Hamilton has gone beyond the role expected of a community officer to become a governor at Ormsgill Primary School.
He says: “Initially people were very sceptical of the police.
“When I first went there they had a big drug dealing problem.
“I’m not saying the drug dealing problem has gone now, because I don’t think it ever will, but initially we had a lot of drug dealers infiltrate the estate and cause a lot of misery and crime related to that so I had to build up their trust and get the intelligence from locals.
“And also I did a lot of proactive stop and search of those drug suppliers.
“Sometimes it was fraught with danger but they needed to know they were coming to Barrow and we may be a small town but we were able to hit them hard and we did that.”
First published at 18:26, Friday, 27 February 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Windermere news
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
Evening Mail homepage
Post 16 education
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school