Friday, 12 February 2016

Toxic algae found in Windermere

ENVIRONMENTAL officers have issued a warning after evidence of a potentially toxic algae was found in Windermere.

The Environment Agency detected blue-green algae at Miller Ground and Windermere Steamboat Museum pier.

The agency said anyone using lakes, rivers and reservoirs should treat all blue green algae blooms with caution and contact should be avoided because skin rashes and illness may occur if the water is swallowed.

Farmers and pet owners should prevent livestock and animals coming into contact or drinking the affected water, as it can sometimes prove fatal for animals.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


More Windermere news

Hot jobs

Evening Mail homepage

Follow us on Facebook
North West 



Are there enough affordable homes in the South Lakes?



Show Result