Windermere divers go deep for litter pick day
Last updated at 13:57, Thursday, 25 October 2012
TONS of rubbish are expected to be plucked from the depths of Windermere in a major clean-up exercise on Tuesday 25 october.
Up to 20 divers will take to the waters of the lake at Waterhead, near Ambleside.
It is all part of the British Sub-Aqua Club’s Underwater Litterpick 2012.
They will be retrieving submerged debris which presents a hazard to divers and swimmers and threatens the lake’s ecology.
A group of schoolchildren are planning to fashion some of items collected into fish and swans to sell for charity.
The underwater litterpicks are taking place nationwide until the end of October and will record the volume and type of litter found.
The Windermere litterpick, which begins at 9.30am and goes on until lunchtime, is a joint effort between Kendal and Lakes Sub-Aqua Club and explorer and broadcaster Paul Rose who lives overlooking the lake.
He explained it was decided to hold the event that day to coincide with a Fell Care Day being run by the Friends of the Lake District.
This will see a small army of volunteers doing footpath repairs, drain clearance, coppicing and woodland work on the hills surrounding the lake.
First published at 09:49, Wednesday, 24 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Windermere news
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- Man dies after getting into difficulties whilst swimming in Windermere
- Businesses and residents asked to air views on Windermere speed limit (2 comments)
- Windermere man charged with affray due in court today
- Tragic Windermere sailor was ‘let down by superiors’
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Top critic claims Lake District restaurant is lighting the way
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- World’s top Buddhist teachers to lead special sessions
- Club wins grant to bring rowing to Windermere
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
- Windermere woman, 19, recalls horror Africa waterfall plunge
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22