IT’S so refreshing to see students thanking their teachers when they collected their GCSE results.
Today the Evening Mail publishes the finalists in this year’s education Oscars for the whole of Cumbria – the Golden Apples.
It’s encouraging to see so many finalists from the south of the county.
Each and every one of them is already a winner for the south of the county long before the category winners are announced at a special awards ceremony held at Rheged, near Penrith, on October 4.
Today the Evening Mail is proud to publish a special eight-page pull-out devoted to the stories of achievement along with photos and results of our GCSE pupils from all over Barrow, Dalton, Millom, Ulverston and the South Lakes.
And it’s no co-incidence that behind so many of the success stories is an inspirational teacher.
Our young people should be hugely proud of their achievements.
Some, who we have highlighted, have managed to get their results against all the odds.
Hopefully their stories will motivate younger pupils to aim high when they sit their own exams in future years.
Across a range of abilities the most important goal is for all pupils to fulfil their potential.
We should ask no more and seek no less.
And we should ensure we always recognise the role all our teachers play in that endeavour.
Published: August 24, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Deterrent still has its place
- Paying heed to a lonely death
- Chance to join energy debate
- Appointment good for Barrow
- Urgent need to tackle stress
- Homing in on the problem
- Real change is long overdue
- Teachers’ past crimes concern
- Ways to mend broken service
- Hungry families need our help
- Parking meter fight is worth taking on
- Cash will help us realise potential
- Island school to be proud of
- School report is not happy reading
- Shameful we need food bank charity
- Crackdown on dealers is vital
More Windermere news
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
- Man bailed after Bowness nightclub door staff injured
- Boy airlifted from Cumbria to Newcastle with serious head injuries
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Davina vows to conquer fear of water in Cumbria
- Cumbria lake becomes pool as hundreds take plunge
- Remembering Holocaust young who found ‘paradise’ in Lake District
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Man who died in Cumbria river identified
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Three Cumbria fraudsters ordered to repay £360,000
Evening Mail homepage