IT’S so refreshing to see students thanking their teachers when they collected their GCSE results.
Today the Evening Mail publishes the finalists in this year’s education Oscars for the whole of Cumbria – the Golden Apples.
It’s encouraging to see so many finalists from the south of the county.
Each and every one of them is already a winner for the south of the county long before the category winners are announced at a special awards ceremony held at Rheged, near Penrith, on October 4.
Today the Evening Mail is proud to publish a special eight-page pull-out devoted to the stories of achievement along with photos and results of our GCSE pupils from all over Barrow, Dalton, Millom, Ulverston and the South Lakes.
And it’s no co-incidence that behind so many of the success stories is an inspirational teacher.
Our young people should be hugely proud of their achievements.
Some, who we have highlighted, have managed to get their results against all the odds.
Hopefully their stories will motivate younger pupils to aim high when they sit their own exams in future years.
Across a range of abilities the most important goal is for all pupils to fulfil their potential.
We should ask no more and seek no less.
And we should ensure we always recognise the role all our teachers play in that endeavour.
Published: August 24, 2012
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cuts proposals will spare no one
- Bus battle shows community spirit
- Scheme looks to the future
- Residents right to feel aggrieved
- Furness firm’s ebola solution
- Brave officers deserve thanks
- Concentrate on the positive
- Witty officers lead the way
- NHS resolution must be found
- Award winner an inspiration to all
- Helping others part of town life
- Take pride in achievement
- Abuse of health staff shocking
- Parking battle not abandoned
- Battle pays off for coastal residents
- Learning awards are well deserved
- We need service we can rely on
- Obesity is danger facing a generation
- Make sure your voice is heard
- Give something back to rescuers
More Windermere news
- Parking meter anger "behind Cumbria by-election swing"
- Ulverston swimmer triumphs at Windermere Chillswim
- Woman attacked in Windermere
- South Lakes worker stole lottery tickets worth £4,000 to feed habit
- Yes vote on Scottish independence ‘could have massive effect’ on Cumbria businesses (2 comments)
- More experts join hunt for clues into Lake District wedding inferno (3 comments)
- Lake District hotel sold to local businessman
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Woman involved in Windermere crash had been drinking - court heard
- South Lakes MP and deputy prime minister lead tributes to ‘dedicated’ Cumbria councillor (1 comment)
- ‘Nothing we can do’ say Lakes chiefs in parking meter row
- Cumbria police investigating after £25,000 damage to trees (2 comments)
- Swimmers make a big splash at Windermere
- Alleged sex offender due in Barrow court
- Peter Rabbit grabs gold at Chelsea Flower Show (1 comment)
- Brathay Windermere Marathon
- Fire at Lake District home
- Police appeal to trace owners of dogs who attacked lambs in Cumbria
- Queuing traffic on Lake District road
- Mum's emotional tribute son found in Windermere
- Matthew Jordan's family issue thanks to people who helped in Windermere search (4 comments)
- Cumbria police CCTV appeal for possible witness in search for man last seen in Bowness
- Family appeal for 20-year-old missing son last seen in Windermere to come home
- Air ambulance called in after man suffers heart attack in Windermere
- Cumbria police investigate Windermere nursery burglary
Evening Mail homepage
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Dad assaulted his wife as child slept in same room
- Cumbria school nurse to face hearing
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd